[rosa-devel] Patches for the kernel

Eugene Shatokhin eugene.shatokhin at rosalab.ru
Fri Dec 20 15:52:12 MSK 2013

Hi,

This week, I have reviewed part of the patchset for the kernel 3.10.x. I
have a few suggestions.

1.
ndiswrapper 1.59 was released this November. It now supports kernels
3.10-3.12 too. Several critical problems have been fixed as well (we are
lucky most of our users seem not to use ndiswrapper 1.58, it is likely
to be broken).

I prepared the patches for our kernel to add ndiswrapper 1.59, they are
attached.

What I suggest:
- Remove from patches/:
	3rd-ndiswrapper-1.58.patch
	3rd-ndiswrapper-kernel-3.10-buildfix.patch
	3rd-ndiswrapper-kernel-3.9-buildfix.patch
- Add 3rd-ndiswrapper-1.59.patch there
- Replace 3rd-ndiswrapper-Makefile-build-fix.patch with the attached one
- Keep 3rd-ndiswrapper-Kconfig.patch, it is OK unchanged.

2.
"heci" driver for Intel Management Engine Interface was removed from the
mainline kernel in 2009. "mei" driver was added there in 2011 for that
purpose instead and now it supercedes "heci". The hardware serviced by
"heci" is now handled by "mei". Therefore, "heci" driver is not needed
at least for kernel 3.10 and newer.

What I suggest: drop "heci" patches. Namely:
	3rd-heci-3.2.0.24.patch
	3rd-heci-WARN-redefine.patch
	3rd-heci-use-sched.h.patch
	3rd-heci-2.6.36-buildfix.patch
	3rd-heci-drop-devinit-exit.patch

3.
The patch char-agp-intel-new-Q57-id.patch should be updated. Part of the
changes from this patch are already in the mainline kernel (commit
67384fe3fd450536342330f684ea1f7dcaef8130, "char/agp: add another
Ironlake host bridge"). The commit was made by Eugeni Dodonov, by the way.

I have updated the patch taking this into account.

What I suggest: replace char-agp-intel-new-Q57-id.patch with the
attached one.

4.
There are Mandriva-specific patches that add IFWLOG and psd netfilter
extensions (patches/net-*netfilter-*). Looks like they were only needed
for Mandriva Interactive Firewall
(http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Projects/Interactive_Firewall, thanks for
my colleagues for pointing that out).

Is that project still alive?

If not, we could drop the patches and simplify the maintenance of our
kernels a bit this way.

5.
There is also a patch set that adds support for Mach64 video adapters
(ATI Rage Pro and earlier, the predecessors of ATI Radeon).

I wonder, if we still need to maintain support for these old video
adapters for ROSA and OpenMandriva, at least for the kernel 3.10 and newer?

It looks like, the support was very far from ideal anyway (see
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/mach64,
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIMach64/, etc., for example).

The last update of the drivers I could find in
git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/drm, was 6 years ago, with one
trivial changed related to mach64 4 years ago.

The driver is not included into the mainline kernel and it seems, it is
no longer maintained. So if we decide to support this driver further, we
need to maintain it ourselves of find someone to do that.

Is it really needed?

If it is not, we could remove the relevant kernel patches and ease the
maintenance burden a bit more.

Thanks for reading this not-so-short letter ;-)

Regards,
Eugene

--
Eugene Shatokhin, ROSA Laboratory.