[rosa-devel] python3 and rosa

symbianflo at mandrivausers.ro symbianflo at mandrivausers.ro
Sat Dec 28 01:04:48 MSK 2013

Hi
I'd like to know if a pythonegg(module) is in main , same module but
python3egg(module) can be forked in contrib?
I mean , we have a lot of missing or old/obsoletes  python3 modules, bur
the same module for
abi 2.7 is in main, so is out of reach for me, now It is possible to
have python3 in contrib?
Until you decide to switch to python3 as default python abi ?
For example we have an old ( 1.4.2) django module in main build on 2.7
abi, I need a newer one maybe even
1.6.1 ( the last stable) to build it against 3.3 abi.
Now:

??[ symbianflo @ symbianflo ] - [ Mandrivausers.ro ]
??[ MRB:aint-no-shit $]: urpmq --whatrequires python-django
feedjack
netpolice-webadmin
pootle
pootle
python-django
python-django-addons
python-django-addons
python-django-ajax-selects
python-django-ajax-selects
python-django-appconf
python-django-appconf
python-django-auth-ldap
python-django-auth-ldap
python-django-authority
python-django-classy-tags
python-django-cms
python-django-compressor
python-django-contact-form
python-django-easy-thumbnails
python-django-evolution
python-django-evolution
python-django-filter
python-django-filter
python-django-guardian
python-django-haystack
python-django-haystack
python-django-mptt
python-django-notification
python-django-notification
python-django-pagination
python-django-piston
python-django-profile
python-django-registration
python-django-registration
python-django-social-auth
python-django-sorting
python-django-south
python-django-south
python-django-staticfiles
python-django-staticfiles
python-django-tagging
python-django-tagging-autocomplete
python-django-threadedcomments
python-django-userena
python-django-userprofile
python-djblets
_python3-django-haystack_
reviewboard
transifex

python3-django-haystack ?? Is it so? Maybe is just bloathing req?
a python3 module that req a python2 module... Or it's just because we
DON'T HAVE PYTHON3-DJANGO?
I don't get it...
And why is django in main? Another thing that I don't get it...
What is so sensible  on this list that could justify main ?
I need a newer django in order to update all this modules, and also to
fork 3.3 abi
modules.

About the approach of building python3 modules, I've talked with Denis
and we both
agree that the most normal and clean way to do it is to branch in
python3 and build them as
separate branch ( and not fedora's way to keep all on one spec and
build&&install in pushd/popd ..)
Here also I'd like to know what the others are  thinking ( beside Denis
:D , obviously )

Since more and more distros are switching to abi 3.3 as default I think
we should have it , at least
in contrib, if not all 2.7 modules  at least 1/2 of them...

Please let me know what you decide.

PS:
I did not really care about python until now, just by mistake I've saw
one of those
  statistics about published OSS apps sources in 2013, and  python && CO
is something like
68% from the new entries , I think we should keep rosa up to speed if
this is the trend,
even if personally I hate building in python ( I'm despicable ,ain't I ?
...)