[rosa-devel] Question about the video card drivers

Alexander Kazancev alexander.kazantsev at rosalab.ru
Thu May 16 17:22:27 MSK 2013

# NVIDIA

NAME NVIDIA RIVA TNT to GeForce 2
DRIVER nouveau

NAME NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX to GeForce 4
DRIVER nouveau

NAME NVIDIA GeForce FX series
DRIVER nouveau
DRIVER2 nvidia173

NAME NVIDIA GeForce 6 and later cards (nouveau/nvidia-long-lived)
DRIVER nouveau
DRIVER2 nvidia-long-lived

NAME NVIDIA GeForce 8 series and later (nouveau/nvidia-current)
DRIVER nouveau
DRIVER2 nvidia-current

NAME NVIDIA GeForce3 (xbox)
DRIVER nvxbox
LINE Option "UseFBDev" "1"
LINE Option "HWCursor" "0"

# ATI

NAME ATI Mach 64-based cards
DRIVER mach64

NAME ATI Rage 128-based cards
DRIVER r128

NAME ATI Rage 128-based cards (3D disabled on x86-64)
DRIVER r128

NAME ATI Mach 64-based cards (no 3D acceleration)
DRIVER mach64

NAME ATI Radeon HD 4870 and earlier (ati only)
DRIVER radeon
FIRMWARE radeon-firmware

# FireGL cards not supported by proprietary driver, but supported by 'free'
ati
# update name as support changes
NAME ATI r300/r400/r500 based FireGL
SEE ATI Radeon HD 4870 and earlier (ati only)

# FirePro card not supported by proprietary driver, but supported by 'free'
ati
NAME ATI FirePro M5750
SEE ATI Radeon HD 4870 and earlier (ati only)

NAME ATI Radeon HD 6400 and later (ati/fglrx)
DRIVER radeon
FIRMWARE radeon-firmware
DRIVER_NO_FIRMWARE vesa
DRIVER2 fglrx

# Radeon cards supported by proprietary driver but not by free driver
NAME ATI Radeon HD 5000 and later without free driver (vesa/fglrx)
DRIVER vesa
DRIVER2 fglrx

# Radeon cards supported by proprietary driver and free 'ati'
# driver: update name as support changes. Legacy driver support some cards,
# older than two years
NAME ATI Radeon HD 2000 to HD 4870 (ati/fglrx-legacy)
DRIVER radeon
FIRMWARE radeon-firmware
DRIVER_NO_FIRMWARE vesa

DRIVER - free driver
DRIVER2 - proprietary driver

2013/5/16 Pastor Di <pastordidi at gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> So just to be sure, interested in the question:
> We have a video driver. What driver from any to any series of video
> cards are designed?
> nvidia-current = ?
> nvidia-long-lived = ?
> fglrx = from HD5xxx and >
> fglrx-legacy = < to HD4999
>

> Dmitry

Alexander Kazancev
Release manager of ROSA Desktop distribution